Making a Driftwood Cloche Christmas Tree
(Reprinted with Permission from DIYDriftwood.com) How cute is this driftwood cloche setting with a driftwood Christmas tree, stonewall, bench and snowman. This bell jar or “cloche” has been designed for Christmas but can easily be changed for the seasons or holidays just by changing the miniature pieces. Change out the snow for grass and leaves and the snowman for a scarecrow and you have a bell jar for the fall season – or add some spooky gravestones and miniature skeletons and you have a nice little halloween display – all centered around a little driftwood tree.
- Driftwood pieces for tree
- Piece of styrofoam to support your driftwood tree while building
- 6″-12″ wood base depending on the size of your tree and bell jar
- Bell Jar
- Heat Gun such as HiPur Former Adhesive Applicator or Professional Glue Gun
- Titebond WW30 or WW60 (for use with HiPur Adhesive Applicator) or Ad-Tech Wood Glue Sticks or All Temperature Wood Stik (look for glue sticks that will hold up in all temperatures)
- Snow Flakes
- Granite pebbles for stonewall
- Miniature pieces such as a sled, snowman, bench, skates, presents, sleigh, reindeer, santa, etc.
- Drill and bit the size of your tree base
- Start by picking your driftwood pieces for your driftwood Christmas tree. A good size to aim for is about 8″ tall.
2. Pick out four driftwood pieces to be used as support on your tree – about 1 1/2 – 2″ in length each.
3. Glue your driftwood support pieces on all sides of your driftwood tree base about 1/2″ down on the base.
4. Now start gluing flat driftwood pieces from the ends of each support to the top of the base.
5. Continue all the way around building up the tree.
6. Drill a hole in your base piece using a drill bit the size of your tree and glue your tree in place.
7. Use pebbles or stones to create a stonewall or create a fence out of driftwood pieces.
8. Add your snowflakes and create your miniature scene then cover with your bell jar.
You can add a Christmas ribbon on top or surround the bell jar with Christmas greenery.